Mathematics, Science Research and Technology (MAST) High School, located in the heart of Cambria Heights, is a diverse and small learning community of approximately 425 students. As a STEAM school, our students engage in rigorous mathematics, science, or engineering courses with the arts and technology embedded within the curriculum. We believe students learn best by approaching academic and social challenges as learning opportunities.
MAST High School is a place where students explore and seek solutions for challenges they face in our fast-paced, technologically-advanced world. Our students have the opportunity to affirm themselves, discover their passions, and apply what they know through hands-on project-based learning that require collaboration, cooperation and communication.
Our Core Values
- Perseverance – We passionately believe that each student at MAST has the inner strength to remain constant in fulfilling their purpose and accomplishing their goals in the face of any and every obstacle.
- Integrity – At MAST, we strive to do what is right and do what we say we will do. We model principled and ethical behavior. We earn the trust of others through the consistency of our actions. We take responsibility for our own actions and the consequences thereof.
- Legacy – We believe in the unique value of each student. All of our students will achieve success. They will be empowered at MAST to positively influence and make a lasting impact in our school, our community and our world.
- Love – We believe that the world is profoundly interconnected. We want each member of the MAST community to show love towards other people. We teach love by example and through discipline and instruction. Love means we treat each other with kindness, empathy, generosity, forgiveness, and respect towards all people.
- Equity – We believe that it is the role for each person at MAST to advance and advocate for equity for all people.
- Respect – We believe that each community member of MAST should possess a profound feeling of admiration for who they are in terms of their good human qualities, attributes, talents, skills, and achievements and that of others.
Our Mission (“How To”)
The Learning Community at MAST High School will accomplish our vision by ensuring that our scholars:
- Engage in rigorous mathematics, science, engineering or technology curriculum that provides practical and problem solving work with access to adequately resourced laboratories and well-trained teachers.
- Participate in academic, artistic or athletic integrated activities in and outside of the classroom that develop well rounded students able to adapt to diverse environments
- Advocate for equity for all
- Become self-aware, responsible, committed and empowered to make an impact in their school and local community through project based learning
Our Vision Statement
MAST High School recognizes the unique value of each student. We believe ALL students can achieve success when held to high expectations and given appropriate supports and interventions that are designed to meet their individual needs. We will provide challenging learning opportunities in a safe and rigorous environment where students will teach and learn. Our mission is to support students’ intellectual, emotional, ethical, social and physical growth for cultural and ethnic diversity and to encourage students to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to become college and career-ready scholars who will responsibly and productively influence our world.
Students will engage in high level discourse and justify their claims orally and in writing with supporting evidence using academic vocabulary. Students will think critically and have access to rigorous curriculum in all content areas.
Collaborations & Features
- Summer Enrichment Program (SAT & Regents Prep)
- College Now (CUNY) with York Community College which offers college courses for free. Courses include Biology, Sociology, Computer Science, Psychology, Math and a STEM college course.
- Summer Bridge Program
- Student Parent Orientation
- Online Grading System (Pupil Path)
- Dress Code
- College Trips including HBCUs
- B.E.A.R. Program with Morgan State University
- Jamaica Hospital Health Center
- Extended Day Program (PM School)
- Saturday Academy (Enrichment & Remediation)
- Project Prize – SAT Prep in English & Mathematics
- Small Advisory Courses for every student that caters to individual students’ needs with academics and social emotional supports including Restorative Practices
- English Language Learner Programs
- Smart Boards and one-to-one laptop computers for every students in each classroom
- Edgenuity: A program for expanded online coursework and self-paced learning
- C-MAST – Cambria Heights Library & MAST Science Research Partnership
English as a New Language