Week of January 25, 2021
Virtual and In-person activities; Some are Free, others have a Fee. Make sure you look through the entire post and check the dates.
GOALS (Greater Opportunities Advancing Leadership and Science) for Girls
- Wednesday, February 3, 4:00pm-5:00pm (EST) – Virtual Teen Forum: Supporting BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) Teens in STEAM RSVP to Louise Gormanl’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org or at viewform or at Teen-Events-Page
- Saturday, March 6, 1:00 to 3:00 PM – Virtual Girls In Science & Engineering Day (GSED)
- High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma (ONLINE) (Feb 16 to June 8)
- ENGLISH FOR SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES (ESOL) (ONLINE) (Feb 16 to June 8)
- COLLEGE PREPARATION (ONLINE) (Pathways-To-College) (Feb 22 to April 23)
- CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL CODER & BILLER (CPC™) (ONLINE) (Feb 16 to June 8)
- Home Health Aide (HHA) (HYBRID)
- APPLY NOW online: www.queenseoc.net on the website, click on the Zoom Virtual Admissions link to speak live to an Admissions Team Member (M-F: 10:30 AM to 4:30 PM) SUNY-Queens EOC, 158-29 Archer Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11433 All programs are HRA approved.
School-Experience-Survey Share your experiences about learning in NYC public schools! Take our survey to help us plan for the future. All students parents/guardians and teachers of students in grades 3-K through 12 are invited to participate in the Fall 2020 School Experience Survey. Your feedback on remote learning, technology, how DOE is communicating, and health and safety in our schools will help us plan both remote and in-person learning.
School Quality Snapshot 2019-2020 Every year, schools receive a School Quality Snapshot based on the learning environment and the performance of its students. The 2019-2020 School Quality Snapshot is now available
Get Ready for the 2021 CCEC Elections!
We are two weeks away from the opening of applications to run for the Community and Citywide Education Councils (CCEC)! Is your parent community ready to Run.Serve.Lead? This election, parents will be able to use their NYC Schools Account to run and vote!
January is NYC Schools Account Sign-Up Month
Mission: 100% parents and students signed up!!
Events with Chancellor Carranza
- CEC 16 Town Hall with Chancellor Carranza on January 26th from 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm (English, Arabic, Bengali/Bengla, Spanish)
- CCD75 Town Hall with Chancellor Carranza on February 3rd from 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- CEC 28 Town Hall with Chancellor Carranza on February 4th from 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- CEC 21 Town Hall with Chancellor Carranza on March 10th from 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- Panel for Educational Policy Meeting on January 27th at 6pm. More information here.
Parent University *NEW FEATURES*
Parent University (parentu.schools.nyc) is a course registration and management system where NYC families can find free trainings on a wide range of topics. Parent University serves all families, from early childhood through adulthood, and seeks to educate and empower them as partners and advocates through free courses, resources, events, and activities. We currently offer 200+ free, pre-recorded, on-demand, and live, web-based courses and they cover a wide range of categories
EVENTS: Free Online Civics Classes to Prepare for the Citizenship Exam
The NY Historical Society is partnering is offering classes to green card holders on Saturdays, January 23 – February 27, 10 am-12 pm. https://nyhistory.org/citizenship
Get Your Child’s COVID-19 Test Results
Schools offering in-person teaching and learning are conducting weekly random testing of students and staff for COVID-19. If a student is tested, parents should hear results via text, email, or phone call within two to three days. Please make sure that families provide their schools with their most current contact information.
Learn more about COVID-19 testing results here or at schools.nyc.gov/covidresults
OPPORTUNITY: Deadline for Art for BPL’s Black America Library Card
Students ages 13 and up are welcome to enter the contest to design Brooklyn Public Library’s first Black American Library card. The deadline to enter and submit one’s work is Jan. 31. For more information. https://www.bklynlibrary.org/black-american-library-card
EVENT: The INCLUDEnyc Fair
Saturday, January 30, 2021
Join Anytime From 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Registration required: https://app.brazenconnect.com/a/INCLUDEnyc/e/qY6WV
INCLUDEnyc is a non-profit providing training and information for young people with any disability (age 0-26)