Hello MAST and welcome to What’s Happening at MAST, our weekly update on all things MAST High School. Now let’s get to events and student opportunities for the week of August 17th!
REMINDER: Please let us know whether your scholar will have all-remote learning or blended learning this Fall 2020. Fill out THIS FORM.
- Join the upcoming Family and Student Information Sessions where Department of Education leadership will share the latest updates as we plan for the return to schools in Fall 2020. The event is taking place virtually on August 27th from 6:30pm – 8pm. REGISTER HERE FOR A SESSION.
- Welcome our new teachers by reading their letters! We have Mr. Connors for ENL, Mr. Singh for Math, and Mr. Brereton for Special Education.
- Apple continues to host virtual learning sessions for parents and guardians from July 27th – August 22nd on topics ranging from how to set up an iPad and how to manage parental controls to a review of build-in apps and features. REGISTER HERE.
- Encourage your scholars to apply to Code Next, a FREE computer science education program run by Google. The program provides Latinx and Black students the skills they need for long and rewarding careers in computer-science related fields. This year the program will be virtual due to Covid-19. Your scholar can apply to the internship by clicking on this link.
- The HESC Excelsior Scholarship Application is now available for students enrolling in SUNY or CUNY in the fall. The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The deadline to apply is August 31, 2020. APPLY HERE.
- The Coca-Cola Scholars Program scholarship is an achievement-based scholarship awarded to graduating high school seniors. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, as well as their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities. Scholars are selected each year to receive this $20,000 scholarship – and the application is now open! APPLY HERE.
- NYC Health + Hospitals and Test & Trace Corps want to know if parents are interested in hosting a mobile COVID-19 testing van in their community. If interested, please fill out this survey.
- SUNY Queens Educational Opportunity Center (QEOC) is offering virtual courses for High School Equivalency (HSE) , English as a Second Language (ESOL), Pathways-to-College (College Prep), Microsoft Office Suite, Certified Professional Coder/Biller, and Home Health Aide. For more information, click here.
- Join COVID-19 Conversations: a conversation centered around Black excellence, NYC’s Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP), and what young grassroots leaders are doing in their communities at this time. Thursday, August 20 at 12pm. Register here.
- NYCSSS.com is hiring people to clean the schools for the 2020-21 school year. The pay is $20.38 per hour. Apply here.