Social Emotional Learning at MAST!!!
Here at MAST we are dedicated to teaching the whole child and that is why we focus on the social and emotional well-being of our students and our staff in addition to academics.
Social-Emotional Experiences at MAST:
- Advisory Twice a Week:
- Staff Advisors meet with our students twice a week for advisory. Students are able to choose their advisory teachers and advisory classes are small and intimate. The typical ration is 15:1.
- On Mondays, we check in with our students and address goals and concerns for the week.
- On Fridays, advisors meet with our advisees, play energizer games in the beginning and then focus on themes of becoming highly effective teens, positivity, friendship, family, persevering, etc.
- Each month we facilitate social-emotional activity rooms to relieve academic stress. While these event rooms are currently virtual, when we return to in-person learning, we will have both options for students.
- Every cohort at MAST High School participates in the Teen Momentum Leadership Program with their fellow classmates.
- Teen Momentum provides workshops and ongoing programs designed for 13-17 olds to enhance communication and empower new discoveries and conversations of choice, responsibility, trust, cooperation, contribution, integrity, and team.
- Peer Group Connection (PGC);
- PGC is an awesome program in which our new MAST scholars have the opportunity to participate. Seniors mentor 9th graders to support and ease students’ successful transition from middle to high school.
- The program taps into the power of high school juniors and seniors to create a nurturing environment for incoming freshmen.
Additional Social/Emotional Supports & Activities